Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaos

Additional Data Logging Tools

44 posts in this topic

[USER="89"]Mag-nus[/USER] Cannot send you a PM, please ask [USER="1"]Kaos[/USER] to enable it or please turn it on yourself. I have FTP information to share with you.

Sending PM's to developers should be fixed now. :eek:

Correction, the error states that Mag-nus has PM's turned off. Will also send the information to you Kaos

I have the standalone update package zip from The AC download page saved in a folder that I donwloaded probably 4 or 5 years ago now. I believe it comprises updates from ToD through 2010-2012, don't know the specifics. Right now I have no place to upload it. Is this of any use to anyone? For the record, I'm not a developer, just a lowly network engineer. But I did contribute to the data Mining as Uncle P.
1 person likes this

Thanks for all the data mining you did Shoregrey they are now stored with all the others and backed up. If you could upload those update package zips to a google drive and link them here I would be happy to add those to the stash. I bet they are over 50MB and the upload server you used for your data mining packets will time out if larger than 50MB. Emailing them is not an option as there are limitations with attachment sizes.

Thanks for all the data mining you did Shoregrey they are now stored with all the others and backed up. If you could upload those update package zips to a google drive and link them here I would be happy to add those to the stash. I bet they are over 50MB and the upload server you used for your data mining packets will time out if larger than 50MB. Emailing them is not an option as there are limitations with attachment sizes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8LSq6TU2u8IY09iWHdBZnhiRnc Let me know if that works

I'm having issues attempting to upload my collection.. It's about 2GB uncompressed, and I've tried several different methods of splitting the files down to even 40MB splits and the uploader for the most part rejects them. I did upload at one point test.rar, which could be deleted. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

First, try refreshing the webpage and try to upload the 40MB sized file again, if that doesn't work I can figure something else out.

First, try refreshing the webpage and try to upload the 40MB sized file again, if that doesn't work I can figure something else out.

Solved my issue. Due to the size of the archive, I split it up in 40mb chunks. The naming was: XXX.part#.rar The uploader didn't like the . between things and was rejecting it. Renamed to XXX-part#.rar and was able to upload. Thanks again for hosting this data for us!

Thank you for all of your efforts! Good catch with the naming of the files. Didn't even think of that. And completely my pleasure with the hosting of the files. I want this EMU to be a reality just like everyone else so I will provide every service I have the skill to provide.

When the servers close are we going to post our portal & cell dat files? or is that too much data to work with reasonably?

Jojii, I was wondering about that as well. Last night, I downloaded and installed the PhatAC emulator and was running around the world. I attempted to !teleto Crater Village and entered portal space never to exit. I then moved to a somewhat nearby location and ran to the crater rim passage. When looking down into Crater, it was just a big black square. When I ran into the black area, my character got lost (everything went black and coords on the radar disappeared) and I had to !teleto another location. So my question is this: Is all landmass data stored in the .dat files or is some of it dynamically loaded from the servers? On the production servers, I would occasionally get a download bar pop on the screen while in portal space. I know I was in Crater Village on one of my other machines so will try it again tonight on that machine to see what happens. Do we need to look at collecting the .dat files and extracting as much data as we can to build a set of .dat files that have a complete view of the world? If someone can point my in the right direction, I could start working on that. Are there any utilities that currently exist, or is there some source code (decal, a plug-in someone wrote, open sourced utility) I can look at to give me a clue as to how to open, read and extract the requisite data? I have 4 machines that I have played on recently so have some .dat files to work with.

Before Turbine/WB scrubbed Asheron's Call from the internet I saw people posting links to a Turbine hosted Cell.dat file. It sounds like that file was everything. Did anybody capture those files?

On the Official AC download page, there were two downloads. The client and a .dat download. I have both of those downloaded and tucked away. I did that back in December. I installed the client then overlaid the .dat files in my installation directory. So unless there was something else, I should already have that and is what was used by my instance of PhatAC emulator. These are the files I downloaded: https://web.archive.org/web/20170120093439/https://asheronscall.com/en/content/downloads (Great resource by the way, you can find all kinds of stuff you thought was lost here. If you are on a site with dead links, try to find them here.)

That's exactly what I was talking about. I've had Archive.org fail me a few times in the past. It's worth having a copy.

It looks like DecalDat Filter has code to manage portal and cell dat files. I will compare the files across my systems to see if they are different then see if I can extract the decal code to open and get some useful information. If I am going on a wild goose chase here please let me know. I am unfamiliar with the contents of cell.dat and don't even know if it is dynamic or static. Is this a useful exercise or should I be spending my time elsewhere?

So I did a little playing around tonight and this is what I found. I looked at client_cell_1.dat from two different machines. Both had a file size of 336,896 KB. I found an MD5 check sum program and ran it against both and found the check sums were different. I copied the client_cell_1.dat from one machine to the other and restarted the emulator. When I went back to crater, everything worked fine. No big black block and I could portal in just fine. I moved the original one back in and tried to portal in and I got stuck in portal space with a bar across the screen indicating downloading 0/1. The log of the emulator indicated an unknown download request. So, all I can surmise is that they must dynamically download content and update client_cell_1.dat. I have read places that people have been able to open and analyze contents of client_cell_1.dat and even modify it. I have found some code and utilities that I may be able to use. Long story short, be sure to save your client_cell_1.dat as we may need to build a complete version from bits and pieces. I will begin to look at putting something together and try to figure out a way to determine what is in and missing from client_cell_1.dat.

On 2/1/2017 at 8:00 PM, Miach said:

Thank you for all of your efforts! Good catch with the naming of the files. Didn't even think of that. And completely my pleasure with the hosting of the files. I want this EMU to be a reality just like everyone else so I will provide every service I have the skill to provide.

I tried to download the files today but it gave me a 404 not found for http://aka-steve.com/ACEMU/

Posted (edited)

On 2/3/2017 at 8:11 PM, Lone said:

So I did a little playing around tonight and this is what I found. I looked at client_cell_1.dat from two different machines. Both had a file size of 336,896 KB. I found an MD5 check sum program and ran it against both and found the check sums were different. I copied the client_cell_1.dat from one machine to the other and restarted the emulator. When I went back to crater, everything worked fine. No big black block and I could portal in just fine. I moved the original one back in and tried to portal in and I got stuck in portal space with a bar across the screen indicating downloading 0/1. The log of the emulator indicated an unknown download request. So, all I can surmise is that they must dynamically download content and update client_cell_1.dat. I have read places that people have been able to open and analyze contents of client_cell_1.dat and even modify it. I have found some code and utilities that I may be able to use. Long story short, be sure to save your client_cell_1.dat as we may need to build a complete version from bits and pieces. I will begin to look at putting something together and try to figure out a way to determine what is in and missing from client_cell_1.dat.

sometimes the client_cell_1.dat files could become corrupt, usually due to dual client mode on decal with using one directory. I found that by copying the game folder and launching different clients that it prevented client_cell_1.dat corruption but it may be that the black landblock was a victim of this corruption, or something similar. Since I'm not good at coding, far from it, I have edited the landblocks in a Hex editor, I don't encourage anyone to do this but if you do, make backups. The landblocks have a rather linear structure for the most part. The landblocks are in what I believe is little endian rather than big endian and they are preceeded by a FFFF for example Qalabar is FFFF2297 for landblock 9722 in the file (near the bottom around offset 0x0DBCE700 not towards the top) knowing this information, I was able to turn all of the water into sand, allowing me to run way out into the middle of the map where there should be water. I was also able to flood Qalabar, finding the texture bits by trial and error. The top of the landblock code is related to textures and there is a bit flag for if buildings are visible or not (FFFF229701 the buildings are active, FFFF229700 the buildings disappear)  while the bottom has more to do with height.  If you take a look at the Qalabar landblock in the client_cell1.dat file you'll notice a lot of 33 hex near the bottom of the landblock, setting these to higher hex values raises the terrain, setting them lower lowers the terrain. It should be somewhat simple for a coder to make a terrain editor.

I should say also the length of a landblockis 100 hex  (256 dec)

Edited by Asole