Sign in to follow this  
xanxin887

DarkerTide

So this is a bit early i know but how would you like your server when the time comes? you want no housing barrier? any other simple things like that, that would in your eyes make the server better.

In my opinion I loved when there was no houses on dark tide it was all about life stones and the most remote ls the better just My opinion I'm sure alot of people enjoy houses and a safe place to mule tho

I think this type of this will be easy to implement once the base ACE is complete. I know when the game is all said and done I will be going in to remove all housing but the solo stuff and just try to all interesting things at the other drops or just 100% remove them

I want to see these things on a server: 1. Allegiance system returned to old style large xp chains. Makes monarchies more fun imo. 2. All possible ways to get xp besides killing monsters and quests removed from game 3. All Rares removed There's even more stuff I have in mind but this is a start.

Make max level something along the lines of 60, but add skill level and attribute modifiers to items. The better the stat modifiers, the higher the value of the item. For example: I might be a max level 60 war mage, but I have a hauberk that adds 100 to my War Magic skill, as well as a corresponding amount of Mana/Focus/Self. Random loot / crafting tiers would be the ideal way to generate items with high level attributes, while quest-based loot would be tiered based on availability and access. No-drop items like shadow armor, atlan weapons would have a baseline which is enough to get by, but not incredibly competitive. This would result in an increased level of competition as, in addition to vitae, people are constantly competing to stay competitive without an overly repetitive grind. Plus, the server devs can modify items to balance skills and make combat more exciting ... without having to nerf or otherwise change the stats directly attributed to players. It would also allow players to customize battle suits for different types of fights, while also increasing the reward/motivation to explore PVE content as well as control areas that have vital loot drops. I'm hoping to be able to join a server dev team to contribute to such a project, as I have experience with database administration.

Make max level something along the lines of 60, but add skill level and attribute modifiers to items. The better the stat modifiers, the higher the value of the item. For example: I might be a max level 60 war mage, but I have a hauberk that adds 100 to my War Magic skill, as well as a corresponding amount of Mana/Focus/Self. Random loot / crafting tiers would be the ideal way to generate items with high level attributes, while quest-based loot would be tiered based on availability and access. No-drop items like shadow armor, atlan weapons would have a baseline which is enough to get by, but not incredibly competitive. This would result in an increased level of competition as, in addition to vitae, people are constantly competing to stay competitive without an overly repetitive grind. Plus, the server devs can modify items to balance skills and make combat more exciting ... without having to nerf or otherwise change the stats directly attributed to players. It would also allow players to customize battle suits for different types of fights, while also increasing the reward/motivation to explore PVE content as well as control areas that have vital loot drops. I'm hoping to be able to join a server dev team to contribute to such a project, as I have experience with database administration.

How about we not turn AC into WoW. Mm'kay? Thank you.

Ok, currently i am hearing you want XP items gone and no housing barrier. This this a fair judgement? We could remove rares from the loot table in the PK server if that is what people want. This will all be up for a community debate. I am just getting ideas.
  • Like 1

For myself, removing the stat-locked weapons / armor. Re-instituting pre-patch GSA. Basically rolling the game back to the original release pre-dark majesty. My absolute favorite time in AC was during the Bael event. (and watching the chaos on thistledown immediately before) And damnit, make pyreals have weight again. edit: and turn all the old starting points back online instead of funneling everybody through less locations. I WANT TO START IN EAST NANTO AGAIN! THAT'S HOME DAMNIT! :p Edited by xero
error / grammar
  • Like 1

For myself, removing the stat-locked weapons / armor. Re-instituting pre-patch GSA. Basically rolling the game back to the original release pre-dark throne. My absolute favorite time in AC was during the Bael event. (around that time) And damnit, making pyreals have weight again. edit: and turn all the old starting points back online instead of funneling everybody through less locations. I WANT TO START IN EAST NANTO AGAIN! THAT'S HOME DAMNIT! :p

This I can agree with, pre DM was the best time for PVP. No weeping wands, no rending, no cantrips, just skill.

• Like 1

I'd hope the emulator would not include rares or XP items to begin with. Best case scenario, people will bog any public server down with farmer bots. Worst case, someone will crash it trying to dupe. We need to start with standardized PvP rules before Darktide rules. For example, none of these require a forked PK server: 1) Ignore ratings. 2) Disable chugs. 3) Disable resisting spells. 4) Disable random combat spells like aetheria surges, cloaks, and dirty fighting. 5) Dispel any intentionally overpowered buffs, rares or otherwise. Slightly off topic, but I did not like percentage based modifiers in PvE, either, as they compounded until near invincibility.

Currently I am just thinking of things that can be done via database trigger or removing or changing item stats.

rares- Can be removed. XP items- Can be removed. someone will crash it trying to dupe.- We are not going to use the same system turbine used so duping should go away 1) Ignore ratings.-Maybe 2) Disable chugs.-Maybe 3) Disable resisting spells.-Probably not. 4) Disable random combat spells like aetheria surges-Maybe-, cloaks-Maybe-, and dirty fighting-Probably not.-. 5) Dispel any intentionally overpowered buffs, rares or otherwise.-Not sure exactly what you mean. Slightly off topic, but I did not like percentage based modifiers in PvE, either, as they compounded until near invincibility.-Not sure exactly what you mean.

Currently I am just thinking of things that can be done via database trigger or removing or changing item stats.

I realize that, but there was PvP outside of Darktide, with the same problems. Most of the common complaints can be addressed with PvP itself. The major exception is disabling housing.

someone will crash it trying to dupe.- We are not going to use the same system turbine used so duping should go away

lol famous last words. Someone will find a new way, or step up all the other exploits that had already been used to stockpile the broken stuff well before. If the items are there, the motivation is there.

5) Dispel any intentionally overpowered buffs, rares or otherwise.-Not sure exactly what you mean.

If there are rare buffs in the game, they could be dispelled by PvP combat, or just not work on PKs and PKLs. Disabling the gem's use by linking it to the old 30 second combat timer wouldn't cut it. Even without rares, there are numerous other buff items which can and will be abused, like the Harbinger protection gems, luminance crystals, and penguin eggs.

Slightly off topic, but I did not like percentage based modifiers in PvE, either, as they compounded until near invincibility.-Not sure exactly what you mean.

Ratings and high mods broke both PvP and PvE. Again, this goes back to much of these unpopular and problematic things not being unique to an all PK server.

think the worst thing you could do is disable resists, grief templates were a staple in pvp in pre dm. If you roll everything back to pre dmg (by altering items/portals/xp gains) there wont be a issue with people having 500 magicd and resisting every other war spell. I posted a suggestion on darktide awhile back let me copy/paste it With the current state of the emulators, one is not far off. Id like to define a few goals for the possibility of an old school server using the current client when i say removal i mean by any means (removal/restriction/altering via database) 1 : Removal of all portals incorporated in ToD and after A. Easily accomplished using the wiki to track which patch portals/quests were implemented 2 : Removal of Luminance Flag NPC 3 : Removal of Aetheria Flag NPC's 4 : Removal of Tier 8 and Tier 7 loot A. Majors would be the top tier loot, no set pieces at all 5 : Removal of all quest items incorporated in ToD and After A. Possible Exception: Shadow Armor (due to the nature of turbines change to the old shadow armor) B. Altering of Quest items to match their pre-ToD values (sword of lost hope, sword of lost light example) 6 : Removal of Town Network Portal 7 : Reintergration of former portals around dereth (including subway and others that were destroyed) 8 : Tier 8 areas such as Snowy/Graveyard/Neftet/Gear Knights spawns removed 9 : Removal of all Rares A. Implementation of Tinkering Buff +275 to all Tinkering Skills for 15 Minutes. Cast on the Tinker once a day via town crier to prevent abuse 10 : Removal of Xp Gems/Foolproof/MFKs/Tier 8/7 from gambling 11 : Removal of All Chat Channels such as General/LFG/Roleplay/Allegiance A. This would bring back people actually grouping/meeting up with guildies at certain places 12 : Fix Loopholes/Exploits 13 : Housing Probably couldnt be removed, Disable all housing barriers These are just loose guidelines of what would be the start of a oldschool server. Most of this could be altered via the database (do we have any database experts here?)

A lot of your requests are reasonable and unlike turbine we will work with you guys to "Balance" the server. Balance in the sense of DM vs ToD changes.

1 : Removal of all portals incorporated in ToD and after-Yes A. Easily accomplished using the wiki to track which patch portals/quests were implemented 2 : Removal of Luminance Flag NPC-Yes 3 : Removal of Aetheria Flag NPC's-Yes 4 : Removal of Tier 8 and Tier 7 loot-Yes A. Majors would be the top tier loot, no set pieces at all-Not sure we will see 5 : Removal of all quest items incorporated in ToD and After-Yes A. Possible Exception: Shadow Armor (due to the nature of turbines change to the old shadow armor) B. Altering of Quest items to match their pre-ToD values (sword of lost hope, sword of lost light example)-Yes, New models will remain most likely. 6 : Removal of Town Network Portal-Yes 7 : Reintergration of former portals around dereth (including subway and others that were destroyed)-Yes 8 : Tier 8 areas such as Snowy/Graveyard/Neftet/Gear Knights spawns removed-Yes 9 : Removal of all Rares-Yes A. Implementation of Tinkering Buff +275 to all Tinkering Skills for 15 Minutes. Cast on the Tinker once a day via town crier to prevent abuse-We will see how our quest scripting engine works out. It could be a quest of sorts with a 23 hour timer. 10 : Removal of Xp Gems/Foolproof/MFKs/Tier 8/7 from gambling-Yes 11 : Removal of All Chat Channels such as General/LFG/Roleplay/Allegiance-If Everyone Wants,If Everyone Wants,If Everyone Wants. A. This would bring back people actually grouping/meeting up with guildies at certain places 12 : Fix Loopholes/Exploits-This is the goal. 13 : Housing Probably couldnt be removed, Disable all housing barriers-Yes

I guess for me the question would be in what context are you asking this question? If you are asking in the context of a server you plan on hosting and what settings should it use, then I think the suggestions provided already are a good start. If you are asking in the context of what the emulator itself should support, then ideally I would say it should ultimately support pretty much everything, and allow features to be enabled or disabled as desired by the server hoster.

think the worst thing you could do is disable resists...

The point is that the solution could be very extreme, but still require no changes to PvE. I don't personally think it's necessary, but it's a common enough complaint that it would probably continue until someone tries completely nerfing it.

grief templates were a staple in pvp in pre dm...

Spamming drain health 1, harming people to death almost at the edge of the radar, and invincible robes were staples of PvP pre DM. "Golden age" recounts of DT tend to involve selective memory. :P

If you roll everything back to pre dmg (by altering items/portals/xp gains) there wont be a issue with people having 500 magicd and resisting every other war spell.

Even if you meant pre ToD, I can say from experience that needing speced life magic on a melee just led me to switch to a Sho mage with speced magic d...and suddenly everyone was a Sho mage with speced magic d! We can't put the toothpaste back in the tube on that one.

So this is a bit early i know but how would you like your server when the time comes? you want no housing barrier? any other simple things like that, that would in your eyes make the server better.

NO Hollow Weapons

The point is that the solution could be very extreme, but still require no changes to PvE. I don't personally think it's necessary, but it's a common enough complaint that it would probably continue until someone tries completely nerfing it. Spamming drain health 1, harming people to death almost at the edge of the radar, and invincible robes were staples of PvP pre DM. "Golden age" recounts of DT tend to involve selective memory.

:P Even if you meant pre ToD, I can say from experience that needing speced life magic on a melee just led me to switch to a Sho mage with speced magic d...and suddenly everyone was a Sho mage with speced magic d! We can't put the toothpaste back in the tube on that one.

I completely understand your point of view regarding magicd during that era, but i had no problems on my life/magicd/ua character. I also had no problem on my creature/magicd/sword character. At that time, you had to basically choose between a pvp template, or a pve template. Yes there was a bit of a gap but i killed lvl 126 mages on my lvl 76 sword character with a hollow sword lol :o

The point is that the solution could be very extreme, but still require no changes to PvE. I don't personally think it's necessary, but it's a common enough complaint that it would probably continue until someone tries completely nerfing it. Spamming drain health 1, harming people to death almost at the edge of the radar, and invincible robes were staples of PvP pre DM. "Golden age" recounts of DT tend to involve selective memory.

:P Even if you meant pre ToD, I can say from experience that needing speced life magic on a melee just led me to switch to a Sho mage with speced magic d...and suddenly everyone was a Sho mage with speced magic d! We can't put the toothpaste back in the tube on that one.

I completely understand your point of view regarding magicd during that era, but i had no problems on my life/magicd/ua character. I also had no problem on my creature/magicd/sword character. At that time, you had to basically choose between a pvp template, or a pve template. Yes there was a bit of a gap but i killed lvl 126 mages on my lvl 76 sword character with a hollow sword lol :O

that 126 gimp hahaha.